Saturday, July 26, 2008

Ooooh My!

Last night we had one of two choices to make #1 stay at the cabin, make our way to Great G-Ma F's house in Morgan for a quick birthday visit, and then off to Lagoon. Choice #2 spend the night at G-Ma's C's, head up to Morgan, and then off to Lagoon. Well we made the latter choice and now I am left wondering if we made choice #1 would our fate be different this morning?

We choose Grandma C's house so Naphs could hang out with his bro and Ashie could hang out with his favorite Utah cousin J. Well while Ashie and cousin J. were dancing and having lots of fun Ashie fell off the bed and broke his arm. YIKES!!!

Naphs and I whisked Ashie off to the ER and that is where the fun began. Fortunately we didn't have to wait long in the waiting room. We did however have to wait a while for the orthopedic surgeon to show up to reset Ashie's arm. Luckily we had some Tylenol with us because that is all Ashie had to dole the pain for over an hour. Poor little dude! Ashie was such a champ he didn't cry much at all and trusted the Doctors and nurses completely. The nurse kept worrying about Ashie because he was so docile, Naph's and I kept reassuring her that Ashie is a relatively calm kid.

Did I mention that earlier in the day I took Ashie to the doctor and we found out he had strep throat and he probably has had it for over a week. Poor boy, when it rains it pours!

I've learned that resetting a broken arm is just awful. The doctors put Ashie on medicine that blocked his memory of the procedure and FINALLY gave him some pain killers, then they reset his arm. To do this they put two of his little fingers in things best described as Chinese finger traps, these held his arm straight up so the doctor could "mold" the broken bones back into place. While the orthopedic surgeon was "molding Ashie's bones back into place he has watching it via x-ray on the computer screen, it was pretty cool to watch. Because Ashie's body could fill the pain of the bone manipulation a nurse had to hold Ashie's head still and Naphs had to hold Ashie's poor little struggling legs. Ashie now has an awesome Ute red cast and a heavy prescription for pain. He will be casted for at least 6 weeks. No fun!

Warning the pictures below are pretty graphic so don't look if you don't think you can handle it. I wince whenever I see them.







I am glad we had Woody with us at the hospital because the cute nurse would use him as an example as what she would be doing to Ashie. If you notice in the picture, Woody is all bandaged up like Ashie.

Today I am thankful for wonderful doctors and nurses who took the time to care for my little man! Oh and wonderful pain killers that are keeping Ashie comfortable!

One cute story when Ashie was waking up after the procedure he turned over and looked at Naphs and I and said, "no more monkey's jumping on the bed." Yes, that is right my little monkey I hope you remember that for years to come!

X-RAYS

11 comments:

watsonshuffle said...

What a bummer! He looks so brave in the pics. Don't worry, from what I've been told, not even a cast can slow down little toddlers. And now they make such cool water-proof cast covers so you can still take him swimming throughout the summer.

Korrin said...

That is awful. Poor little guy I hope he feels better.

nersey said...

YIKES!!!Ashie sure did handle himself better then I would have. Feel better big guy!

Missletoe said...

Wow! Now those are great pictures! I am so proud of brave little Ashy, he for sure takes after his Mommy

Rogers Family said...

Wow! I think i would have been a wreck. You did not mention in your story about you crying so I take that you were brave also. The pictures are pretty intense. Hope he feels better soon! not the best week:(

jason said...

see what happens when you listen to Dancing Queen while jumping on the bed? It' a recipe for disaster. Thanks for letting J know it wasn't her fault, she was quite worried about him.

Michelle

Kara said...

That is awful. He looks like he was so brave though. Those are some pretty awesome pictures! Get well soon buddy!

Angie said...

What a tough little guy you have! He looks so brave! I hope he starts feeling better. Justin can relate!

Andrea Griggs said...

Oh, poor guy! I hope his arm heals quickly and properly! I'm glad you had a caring nurse, and Woody there with you!

Steve said...

Does this mean he found a way out of having to wear a tuxedo at the wedding? Smart dude.

Lilmis said...

Ah! I was there!
it really was sad. :(
but he's a fighter!
[I'm still holding you guys to Lagoon]
haha, just playing.