Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Unlucky Odds



There is only a 5% chance that your child will contract chickenpox after they have received the chickenpox vaccine. Well lucky us have hit the odds. Poor Ashie came down with the chickenpox today. In all actuality he has had the chickenpox for days now, I just didn’t know it until the pox showed up on his face and arms.

Late Saturday evening Ashie started running a fever, the fever came and went all day Sunday. He also didn’t want to eat. Naphs and I just figured that this all has to do with the cold he has had for two weeks. Well on Monday he seemed to be back to his old self, his fever was gone and he was eating again. Tuesday I had planned a play date and invited my friends and their sweet kids, not knowing my house was a hot bed of chickenpox germs. Because Ashie had been doing well all day Monday and all morning Tuesday I felt confident that my house was germ free. Naphs and I even spent Monday evening spraying all of Ashie’s toys with Lysol just to rid the house of any remaining cold/croup germs.

You can imagine my surprise and frustration when Ashie got up this morning and had pox marks all over his face. I am just sick that I exposed my friend’s kids to chickenpox. Had I known the symptoms of chickenpox and had I known that Ashie was even exposed to chickenpox in the first place I would have not held the play date at my house. The thing that baffles me is where Ashie got the chickenpox in the first place. Seriously, I have sequestered both of the boys in the house for two weeks now because little Coach had a bout of croup and Ashie had a bad cold.

So to those of you who think your kids are safe because they have been vaccinated against chickenpox it is a good idea to know the symptoms, just incase you are one of the unlucky few like us who hit the odds. The thing I have learned from all of this is the symptoms for chicken pox are the same as a bad cold so watch out. If your kids spike a fever it is a good idea to sequester them for a few days just incase it is chickenpox.

To all of you that I exposed to chickenpox I am DEEPLY SORRY and hope we can still be friends. Below I listed the symptoms you should be watching for just incase.

As for Let’s Get Out and Play Tuesday’s they are cancelled because I don’t want to risk spreading anything else to our friends.

SERIOUSLY 5% odds!

Signs and symptoms

The best-known sign of chickenpox is a red, itchy rash that breaks out on your face, scalp, chest and back, but it can spread across your entire body, even into your throat, eyes and vagina.
The chickenpox rash usually appears less than two weeks after exposure to the virus and begins as superficial spots. These spots quickly turn into small liquid-filled blisters that break open and crust over. New spots continue to appear for several days and may number in the hundreds. Itching may range from mild to intense.
The rash may be preceded by or accompanied by:
• Fever
• Abdominal pain or loss of appetite
• Mild headache
• General feeling of unease and discomfort (malaise) or irritability
• Mild cough and runny nose the first two days of illness before the rash appears

8 comments:

Missletoe said...

So Sad! Get better soon big guy! Hang in there too Mindurs!

Korrin said...

That is awful. Have you and Naphers had the chickenpox before? I'm so sorry to hear. I hope things aren't to bad. Good Luck

Mindurs said...

Korrin,

Yes, Naphs and I have had them before. I bet you are glad you had a Dr. appointment on Tuesday and avoided exposure to the chicken pox.

Angie said...

Poor little dude! Chickenpox is no fun! He looks cute with all the red dots though!
I hope he starts feeling better. The good thing is he got them when he was young... the older you are the worse they get so I have heard!

Steve said...

First of all, what's the croup? Secondly, why get vaccinated against the pox? Millions upon millions of kids have had them, it's what makes us stronger. Well, that and McDonald's Happy Meals.

If you remember, I had the pox twice. Once as a kid, and once as a teenager, I survived, and I'm cooler than ever.

Mindurs said...

Croup is something young children and babies get. It is like a REALLY BAD cold, where the kids cough sounds like a barking seal, there is also a lot of wheezing because the kid can't breath. To help clear up croup you spend a lot of time out in the cold opening the babies long.

Doctors recommend that you vaccinate your children. A lot of good it did us. I will just save money when they ask to vaccinate Coach.

Yes you are cool Steve and I will have to tell the boys when they are whining about their chickenpox that you have survived them twice. That will toughen them up!

Amanda Bishop said...

Hi there...oh you poor woman! Hang in there.

jamieleighcall said...

The poor guy. He looks miserable! Don't feel bad about the playgroup. I would have done the same thing. Hope he gets better real soon!